Version 2 of a questions list for organizations that we interview for the book:
1. Situation Analysis – Background questions/motivations for using Twitter.
- How did you learn about Twitter?
- When did your organization set up its (first) Twitter account? How many accounts do you have?
- Why did your organization choose to engage with the Twitter community? How have your goals changed over time?
- Describe any resistance you had to overcome to get that first account going.
- What other social media networks do you engage with?
- What is the organization’s history and policy on blogging? (@jayrosen_nyu)
- Why should people follow you? In your opinion, why might they unfollow you?
2. Planning – Strategy behind Twitter adoption.
- How did you pick the person who manages your Twitter account?
- How do you integrate Twitter with your overall marketing/communications plan?
- How have you promoted products/services/events on Twitter?
- How do you promote your Twitter account (such as email signatures, links from website, etc)?
- How do you manage, or not manage, the approval process by legal, pr & marketing? (@halfnelson)
- What is your policy on following? Replies? Directs?
- What is your organization’s social media policy for employees?
3. Implementation – How Twitter was implemented/applications used.
- Who tweets for your organization and how are they chosen? Is their identity made public on your Twitter profile? If not, why not.
- How do you let your customers/constituents know who is tweeting for your organization (eg, web site directory)?
- How often do you tweet and what types of content do you tweet?
- How are you planning your Twitter content?
- How did you develop your Twitter voice?
- How do you balance mission-focused tweets vs. a more casual ‘conversation’?
- How do you use hashtags?
- About how much time each day is devoted to your Twitter account?
- What tools do you use to Tweet? And do you tweet from computer/phone/both?
- What auto-Tweet services do you use (eg, TweetLater, TwitterFeed) and why?
- Which link shortener do you use and why?
- What are your favorite tools (and why)?
4. Goals and measurement – How was success defined and measured.
- What are your success measures?
- How do you measure ROI?
- What demographics are you targeting on Twitter? Have you found a ‘generation gap’?
- How do you see Twitter fitting into your long term communications strategy?
5. Lessons learned – Reflections on Twitter/Best Practices/Role models.
- What is something you wish you had known before you started your Twitter account?
- Who are your role models in the Twitter community?
- Have you made a mistake on Twitter? If so, how did you address it?