Class Notes: Non-Profit Speakers
23 July 2009
Notes from July 21st 2009:
- Jeris Miller, Children’s Hospital and Heart of Matter, @dakini_3
- Sean DeButts, Puget Sound Blood Center, @BloodCenter @SeanDeButts
- Non-profits are outrunning businesses and companies in the Social Media sphere (Kathy: also, many big companies are not online, while small companies use Social Media to connect with their audience/”customer” base cf. “Top Brands“)
- Most non-profits use the web for Blogging and video blogging.
- Barriers to Social Media entry in the non-profit health sector: legal issues (Twitter is a legal document), no clear electronic policy: you will be held responsible for what you put out there!
- We launched with Twitter, because it wasw the easiest Social Media Tool
- People on Twitter want to be able to act right now! Blood Drives are announced not days, but hours or minutes before it starts –> adjustment to the community. Facebook promotion is different.
- Don’t fall into trap of sending one-way messages
- main goal: create relationship with new donors
- employees can access Twitter, but they cannot access Facebook etc.
from → Speakers