Cluetrain – 5 Important Theses
- The Internet is enabling conversations among human beings that were simply not possible in the era of mass media. –
- These networked conversations are enabling powerful new forms of social organization and knowledge exchange to emerge.
- There are no secrets. The networked market knows more than companies do about their own products. And whether the news is good or bad, they tell everyone.
- Companies need to come down from their Ivory Towers and talk to the people with whom they hope to create relationships.
- We like this new marketplace much better. In fact, we are creating it.
The key theme in each of these is that of companies having conversations with customers. The last one is a little off this theme, but I liked how it pointed out that customers have more control over the marketplace now than companies. I find this shift very important for companies to understand.